Thursday, December 21, 2006

Thoughts and Conclusions

I know trying to decipher some semblance of continuity of this project might seem like a daunting task, I will try to focus the lens:

Gagá is a religious ritual, music and dance that has strong roots in similar rites practiced in Haiti: rará. Because of the socio-political situation of Haitian immigrants in the Dominican Republic, gagá developed almost exclusively on bateyes. Gagá ceremonies at bateyes highlight several important events--births, deaths, etc.--as well as important dates during the Christian holy year--for example, Carnival, Lent, and Easter. Gagá music itself serves two main purposes, 1) as ceremonial music used to guide practitioners through rites and rituals for aforementioned events, by helping induce trance and at times ward off evil spirits--in conjunction, with the whistle and whip--and 2) to "help/assist" neighbors in the community through the "sad time" of Lent, by parading happy, joyful music.
I visited a batey in 2005 and witnessed a Vodou ceremony. As an outsider to the tradition, I was still affected by the sounds of gagá music. I had the urge to bob my head, slap my leg and tap my feet to the percussive, infectious beat. Irrespective of the cultural history of Haitians in DR, I was still entertained by the sounds. While the ceremony I viewed was conducted as a show/performance and not considered "real" or having the ability to induce trance (in public, per se), and because the rites, rhythms and songs were exactly the same, the questions remain: to whom/for whom is this music/ceremony? What kept the spirits from possessing the initiates? Our presence? Just because they chose not to? and if so, how effective is the music in inducing trance, if in said circumstance it is exactly the same but ineffective?
Batey Cero uses similar instruments and sings about similar topics as do traditional gagá bands. What makes them effective? Like I mentioned, in gagá one of the purposes of the music is to entertain and inform "neighbors" during certain points in the holy seasons. Batey Cero, in their own way, does that. An for this outsider, that makes them equally as effective and as authentic.

2 comments:

Madonaldo said...

I am Alecia,from what I can read. It has been sad news and scam to everyone about Voodoo casters or so. But to me they are so real because one worked for me not quite long ago.i met this man on a blog his name is Dr Abalaka is a very powerful man.I traveled down to where his shrine his and we both did the ritual and sacrifice.he had no website yet but he promised to create one as costumers are requesting for it, and now i'm free from the powders of sickness.I don't know about you but Voodoo is real;love marriage,finance, job promotion ,lottery Voodoo,poker voodoo,golf Voodoo,Law & Court case Spells,money voodoo,weigh loss voodoo,diabetic voodoo,hypertensive voodoo,high cholesterol voodoo,Trouble in marriage,Barrenness(need a child),Luck, Money Spells,he also cure any cancer and HIV,it's all he does. I used my money to purchase everything he used he never collected a dime from. He told me I can repay him anytime with anything from my heart. Now I don't know how to do that. If you can help or you need his help write him on (dr.abalaka@outlook.com) and also his cell number: 760-935-3804 you can text him because he use to be very busy some times,i believe that your story will change for better,or if you have any question you can contact me here as 1001madonado@gmail.com i wish you a best of luck.

Swapna madhuri said...

architects blue mountains
blue mountains architect
building designer blue mountains
mwds
Architect Sydney
Sydney Architect